Men's Basketball falls in back-and-forth contest against Holy Cross

Men's Basketball falls in back-and-forth contest against Holy Cross

(Ann Arbor, MI) – Concordia men's basketball returned home on Friday afternoon to host Holy Cross in a non-conference matchup.  The game featured back-and-forth action with multiple lead changes, but the Saints pulled away late for a 78-72 win. 

Kip French led the team with 19 points.  Matt Lockhart's double-double gave him 18 points and a team-high 10 rebounds.  Nate Brighton finished in double figures with 12 points.   


Nate Brighton opened scoring with a 3-pointer.  Zackary Johnson tacked on an early triple and Devyn Jones made a fadeaway shot and threw down a dunk.  Nate Brighton added another 3-pointer, but Holy Cross briefly took a 14-13 lead before Jayden Priddy nailed a go-ahead triple.  Colton Ritsema made a 3-pointer as well, but the contest would be tied 19-19 at the midway point of the half. 

Zac Clark made a layup and Kip French hit a triple for a 5-0 run.  Colton Ritsema and French added free throws, but the Saints again fought back for a 28-27 lead.  Matt Lockhart put the Cardinals back up with a putback and Kip French made a late jumper and layup.  The game was tied 33-33 at halftime. 


Holy Cross opened the second half on a 7-0 run.  The Cardinals surged back with a 9-0 run, starting with a Matt Lockhart layup.  Kip French converted an "and-1" on a 3-pointer and Nate Brighton hit the go-ahead triple.  Brighton added another 3-pointer and Zac Clark scored inside, but the Saints led 51-48 with 10 minutes to play. 

Matt Lockhart drove for a layup and Colton Ritsema hit a 3-pointer.  Holy Cross continued to convert on offense with a 71-59 lead, but Kip French began an 8-0 run with four free throws.  Baskets from Zac Clark and French completed the run and a triple from Matt Lockhart cut the deficit to 73-70. 

The Cardinals kept pace in the final minute with free throws from Lockhart.  A steal by Zac Clark nearly set up a game-tying possession, but the Saints were able to force a turnover right back.  CUAA fell by a final score of 78-72 after a strong effort. 


Concordia will remain at home on Wednesday, January 4 when they host Aquinas at 7:30pm.